Hawks Roller Hockey: Struggling to Find Success

Photo of HFC's roller hockey team
Photo courtesy of Dominic Stankiewicz

The Henry Ford College Hawks roller hockey team had a tough weekend at Joe Dumars Fieldhouse. They took on Akron, Western Michigan, Michigan State, Stony Brook and Grand Valley all in two days. It was not an easy schedule and the Hawks found that out fast.

​On Feb. 9, the Hawks faced Akron, Western Michigan and Michigan State division one. Akron, a division three team, came out sluggish against the Hawks. The Hawks scored two goals in the early minutes followed by one to finish the period strong. The next two periods were all Hawks as the scoring increased to an 11-0 win against Akron. Eric Holgate had three goals, Griffin Young had two, Chris Greco and Danny Mattson each had one, and I scored four goals.

​The next game was against Western Michigan, a division two team, which the Hawks will see in the regional tournament. The last time these two teams met, the Hawks had lost six to five in overtime. The Hawks came out flat the first period and Western popped in two quick goals. As the game progressed, the Hawks became unorganized and paid, as Western took the game 8-0.

​The third and final game was against Michigan State division one. Michigan State came out strong and dominated every aspect of play. Holgate and Greco each scored a goal for the Hawks but the task of competing with the best team in the conference became too much as Michigan State took the game 14-2.

On the second day of the tournament, the Hawks took on Stony Brook from New York as well as Grand Valley.

​Stony Brook is one of the top teams in the East Coast Conference and made a statement on Saturday beating Grand Valley in overtime. ​Once again the Hawks came out sluggish at the start. Stone Brook looked fresh and controlled the pace of the entire game. The Hawks lost 10-0 and looked for redemption against Grand Valley.

The Grand Valley game was the toughest of all. The Hawks lost forward Griffin Young to a finger injury that would sideline him for the game The Hawks would have five players throughout the game. The Hawks were down 1-0 after one period. Forward Eric Holgate would left the first period after a knee injury but returned during the second period. The Hawks had really no good opportunities to score as Grand Valley took control of the game and won 4-0.

The Hawks next tournament will be in Chicago, Illinois. For more updates on the games, go to mcrhl..com.